Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Importance of the Teacher




Yesterday as I sent my son off to kindergarten, I had so many mixed emotions but the most profound was the value of teachers. I was a teacher for years before staying home with my children and I loved every moment of it. I  thought it was a pretty important job but never considered it from the point of view of the parent because I wasn't one. As Buddy boarded the school bus with his backpack, embarrassment from my kisses and  a nervous glint in his eye, I realized the true importance of  a teacher from the perspective of the parent.

I know the insides of being a teacher because I did it for so many years. On so many levels it is a thankless job because a room full of 5 year olds doesn't think to tell you, "Great Job, Mrs. M! You are doing an excellent job teaching me to control myself, how to cope with missing my mommy, how to order lunch, where to put my belongings, how to stand in line, how to listen when others are speaking, how to be kind to my classmates, how to share my toys, and of course teaching me to read, do math, respect others, how to sit at story time, how to read a clock, a calendar and a watch and oh great job covering those standards." Instead, the students challenge teachers, bring joy, frustration and exhaustion to them  And then the parents  challenge the teachers, bring joy, frustration and exhaustion. And still the teachers come back day after day and year after year for more (in case you are wondering it isn't for the money).


So, as I put Aidan on that bus, I realized that Mrs. W will be taking over all the things that I am normally responsible for on a given day with my boy. It is her job to teach him, to make him feel loved, to help him get along with others, to inspire him, to make sure he is fed, makes it to the bathroom, washes his hands and learns.

I would love to write a letter to her that says:

Dear Mrs. W:
I feel so thankful that you have taken this enormous responsibility this year. I know we have only met once, but I am putting all my faith in you as you take my boy under your wing and help shape him into the person he will become. Let's make a deal. I may have to bite my tongue but I swear I won't nitpick or make you feel like you are not doing a good job. I am only here to help if you need it and I will consider you the expert about my child's academic progress, I will send things in for parties, help him get his homework done and, of course, advocate for him when necessary. And all I ask is that you not nitpick or make him feel like he is not doing a good job, be there to help when he needs it and help shape him into the amazing person he has the potential to be. Also, give him a little extra loving because he might miss me a bit since he has never been away from me for this long.

Thank you for taking this on. You are doing the most important job out there. And Buddy, Hunk and I truly appreciate your willingness to do this thankless job. You are appreciated.

Sincerely,
Andie

The greatest gift you can give a teacher is be their partner through support and recognition of all that the job entails.

(After I discovered this poem, I sent it home the first day of school each year...)
I dreamed I saw a studio and watched two sculptors there.
The clay they used was a child's mind
and they fashioned it with care.
One was a teacher- the tools she used
were books, music, and art.
The other, a parent, worked with a guiding hand,
and a gentle, loving heart.
Day after day, the teacher toiled with a touch
that was careful, deft, and sure.
While the parent labored by her side
and polished and smoothed it o'er
And when at last, their task was done,
They were proud of what they had wrought
for the things they molded into the child
could neither be sold nor bought.
And each agreed they would have failed
if either had worked alone.
For behind the parent stood the school
and behind the teacher, the home.


-Anonymous


Enjoy your school year:)






















6 comments:

  1. Agreed! well said! I'm Thankful everyday for those dedicated to our kids and their future. You included ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I love it. I think you SHOULD send her that letter. Would you have liked to have received it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Molly:)
    I did send her a letter yesterday saying, "Thanks in advance for all you will do this year" but couldn't get it all on paper. Probably and she has been teaching long enough that she probably would appreciate it..but I really don't know b/c I only met her once!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I totally had tears in my eyes reading that. And loved the poem. Even though I'm teaching Kindergarten & know how much fun it is...and personally think school/learning is the coolest adventure ever, I can't even imagine how hard it's going to be when it's MY turn for my kids to go to Kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea...this was such a beautifully written post. I relate to it both as a kindergarten teacher and a parent. BTW...I would love to get a letter like that from my parents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THanks, Monika! You guys hold a very special place in my heart:)

    Michele and Kate, you are doing such an awesome job! Keep it up..oh and use the poem!!

    ReplyDelete